Dedicated Representation in Glynn, Camden and McIntosh Counties
While it can be easy to think of slipping and falling as no big deal, the reality is that a bad fall can result in catastrophic injuries. Falling is also rarely the result of clumsiness: A slick surface, uneven flooring, or excessive debris are often to blame. If these unsafe conditions are the result of a property owner’s negligence, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries.
At Mayfield Law, LLC, we regularly assist our clients with all types of premises liability lawsuits. Our Brunswick slip and fall lawyer understands how Georgia courts adjudicate these cases, and we can leverage our extensive knowledge to strengthen your claim. When you come to our firm for help, we will evaluate the circumstances of the incident and walk you through what types of damage you may be able to recover. We are ready to serve as your tireless advocate and will do everything we can to secure the best possible outcome.
A great firm that goes above and beyond for the client. Alex is a dedicated and experienced lawyer who knows how to maximize his client's recovery.Taylor B.
Slipping and falling in a public place or in front of friends at a private residence can be embarrassing. No matter how uncomfortable you may feel, however, you should take certain steps to protect your rights and ability to recover compensation.
If you are injured in a slip and fall incident, you should:
- Call an ambulance if you need emergency medical assistance. Your safety is paramount. If you are seriously injured, do not hesitate to call 9-1-1.
- Take photographs and videos of the incident site. If you do not need to go to a hospital, document the scene as much as possible, including your own injuries. Look for any defects that may have caused the accident. Look out for any security cameras that may have captured footage of the incident. If anyone saw what happened, be sure to ask for their contact information.
- Inform the person in charge. Ask to speak to the property owner. If the property owner is not available, talk to the on-duty manager, instead. Explain what happened, but be careful to not admit any level of fault. Avoid making comments like “I’m so clumsy” or “I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going.” Ask that they create an incident report and get a copy before you leave. If a security camera appeared to capture the incident, request a copy of the footage. Obtain the person in charge’s and/or the on-duty manager’s contact information, including their names, phone numbers, and addresses.
- See a medical professional. Get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible, as the full extent of your injuries may not be immediately apparent. Keep a copy of your doctor’s report and strictly follow any prescribed treatments.
- Avoid making any statements. Sooner or later, you will likely hear from the property owner’s insurance company or legal representative. They may attempt to ask questions or request a statement. Anything you say can and likely will be used against you, so do not say anything without first consulting a lawyer. Simply inform the inquiring party that your legal representation will call them back.
- Hire our Brunswick slip and fall attorney. You should not attempt to recover damages in a personal injury case without the help of a capable legal professional. When you contact our firm, we will help you understand your rights and get to work on building your claim. We will also handle all communications with the defense’s insurance company and legal team on your behalf.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, Brunswick slip and fall lawyers will work to recover compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost or missed wages
- Reductions in quality of life
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Punitive damages
The state of Georgia enforces a time limit on slip and fall lawsuits and other legal actions involving premises liability. You will in most situations only have up to two years to file a claim. If you are only interested in obtaining compensation for property damage, you will usually have up to four years to initiate legal action. When a slip and fall results in the death of a loved one, you will have two years from the date of their passing to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit.
Your slip and fall claim will not always go to trial. Some defense teams in these cases are not necessarily trial-ready, and they will make every effort to settle out of court. We are fierce negotiators who will pursue the most favorable result possible, and we are more than ready to litigate if a satisfactory settlement cannot be reached.
If we do go to court, the jury will evaluate each party’s level of fault in causing the accident. Under Georgia’s modified comparative negligence rules, the more “at fault” you are, the less you can ultimately recover. For example, if you are found to be 20% “at fault,” a $100,000 damage award would be reduced to $80,000. If you are found to be at least 50% at fault, you will not be able to recover anything.
The defense will likely argue you were not paying sufficient attention to your surroundings, that you were wearing improper footwear, that you were behaving recklessly in the moments before the incident, or some other argument designed to limit or eliminate their liability. Do not worry: We have handled these arguments before and will use evidence and testimony to persuasively make your case.
The sooner you get in touch with our team at Mayfield Law, LLC, the better. Do not spend time worrying about how you will pay for medical expenses or missed wages in the aftermath of a slip and fall incident. We will focus on obtaining compensation so that you can concentrate on your recovery.
Review your legal options with us today. Call (912) 455-2045 or contact us online to get started.
We understand that each client and every case is unique. We work with you to efficiently and effectively develop the proper course of action for your particular case.
At Mayfield Law, you have direct access to your attorney. You will constantly be provided with honesty and transparency into your case, and we will work to ensure that your goals are met.
When you work with our team, you can rest assured that you will not only have an attorney, but also an advocate who will tirelessly work to secure the best possible outcome on your case.
Tailored Legal Strategies
At Mayfield Law, we don't believe there is a one-size-fits-all approach to legal cases. We always work directly with you to secure the best possible outcome for you.